Sunday 14 April 2013

Sunshine and Dust

It has been ages since I can honestly admit to watching a sunrise. Having not slept a wink all night I am left wondering, "Why don't I indulge in this activity everyday?" With a rather limited view of the ocean over my balcony, I miss the simple rising of the sun from the murky depths of the ocean but my mind is open to the pre-dawn gloom and the happenings around me.

The subtle, yet biting, winter breeze that finds its way into your bones is the first occurrence. As the sky begins to lighten to a dirty grey, you find your senses heighten. The smell of the earth, slightly damp with dew, fills the nostrils. The sounds of the birds singing in what first appears as disharmony, invades one's thoughts and disrupts one's musings. That is until you find the beauty in their disjointed harmony and discover that it is a melodious soliloquy that plays out the discord of thoughts soaring through ones mind. The sudden peaking of the sun over the buildings blinds me temporarily as I begin to hear the world awake around me.

Sounds of vehicles making their way down the road precedes the smell of freshly baked bread from the corner-side bakery. The sound of a child crying alerts me to signs of human life as I witness a couple concluding their morning jog. The sky takes on a light shade of blue and I am suddenly struck by a thought: how can a simple sunrise awaken my heart so easily to the beauty of nature and life all around me?

As fleeting as the moment is, less than 15 minutes, I can't help but wonder why we spend our lives continuously trudging through the sludge of remorse and discord when we can simply open our eyes to a beautiful sunrise and cleanse our minds and souls of the day to day burdens. In those 15 minutes you find peace, harmony, balance before continuing with the terrors of day to day living.

Just 15 minutes. Life is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment