Thursday 18 July 2013

The Unexpected

Today I was told, in the midst of learning the technique required to perform a gynaecological exam, that I was to place my middle finger into the rectum of the dummy upon which we were practising.  You could not begin to imagine the shock that contorted the faces of the 7 to 8 other students who were attending the practical. What was more surprising was the ease and nonchalance by which the doctor announced this to us.

It was so… unexpected. Of course we all expected that we would have to place our fingers into the vagina, but the rectum? You have got to be kidding me! After the shock wore off I found my mind drifting. I know you must be wondering how on earth it is possible to encounter profound musings while having one’s fingers in the rectum of a dummy. Well guess what? It is possible!

How often do we find ourselves in situations we never expected? We all live our lives in a bubble of sorts; drifting in space, now and again merging with other bubbles containing other people and very rarely we find ourselves thrown against a sharp object and “pop!” we go crashing to the earth. It is these rare, unexpected moments that leave you either feeling a sense of euphoria or makes you feel as though you have something stuck up your backside, which in the case of the gynaecological exam would be apt.

So many times I have encountered friends who build up extensive checklists of all the traits that they expect their husbands to have and all too often do I find myself at their weddings only to discover that the person they marry is polar opposites of what they envisioned. Whenever I ask what changed I always get the same vague, elusive answer, “It just happened”.  What just happened? Did you finally realise that no man could ever fulfil that rather ridiculous checklist? Did you discover that you needed to act fast or end up alone forever? Or did it just click? Did the unexpected come sweeping in and lift you off your feet? Did life show you that the last person you would imagine as your future is actually more suited for you than any other?

I just don't know! It frustrates me when I get that answer. How do things just happen? There has got to be some power greater than ourselves out there that brings two people together- especially the most unexpected people. We can't exactly plan for it to happen but when the unexpected comes knocking at your door, be prepared, for life as you know it is about to change.

Whether it is for the good or bad is questionable but life can't stay stagnant. It needs to be in motion, ever changing. We live in a state of becoming and never simply being – though that is a topic best left for another day.

Though I have just been rambling on endlessly for the past few minutes I think it is quite clear that we have to be prepared for the unexpected (a paradox all on its own). Whether it is a finger up the other hole while lying in the lithotomy position or finding yourself being a stay home mom when all your life you wanted to be a dancer. The unexpected should be taken with a pinch of salt and if that isn’t good enough… perhaps some tequila and lime might help too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment