Friday 26 July 2013

Cue Self-Loathing

What am I doing with myself? I find that I ask myself that question at least three times a day. Yet, I am unable to answer this question.

I find that there are times where I don't even recognise the person I have become. I guess growing up requires that we change and in many ways I have changed for the better but there are still these moments when I look at myself with disappointment, loathing the things I do and I just can't seem to do anything about it.

Sometimes I wonder if I made different decisions, chose to do things differently, perhaps I wouldn't be in this situation. There was a time not so long ago where I was content with things as they were and never questioned my actions. With the upheaval of that person, I just feel lost and unsure. I find myself second guessing everything I do.

Randomly I find myself going off on a tangent, questioning my very existence to no avail. I am still doing the things I do and I am still finding myself sitting down and hating these very same decisions. I was a very different person and would never have made these sorts of decisions once upon a time. Time and circumstances saw me become someone different and though I complain of disliking this person, I can't seem to be able to overcome the static friction required for me to change.

I keep telling myself I am better, I deserve better and I should actively seek betterment. I live with the thoughts that I deserve someone who will help me fulfil this realisation yet I'm sitting in a stagnant pool of water with no idea how to swim. The ideal is good, but the ability to reach it is severely lacking.

Being content with my lot is really hard. There are many things I am grateful for and would never trade but there are also things I wish I could get rid of. Sometimes I wish I was born in a different era – but now I digress. The issue is of the 21st century no matter how much I wish I was born in the medieval era, my problems will still be the same.

I can't help but wonder if the people I have chosen to surround myself with are a good choice. Some are, without a doubt. These people play an active role in making me a better person through inconspicuous nudges in the right direction. There are however, the one or two unclassified individuals. Why are they in my life? Am I holding out for them? Is there any possibility of a future? Or are they simply just adding to the increasing amount of self-loathing?

Sometimes I wish I could just wake up with all the answers or even better, realise that the life I am currently living is but a dream. I do strongly believe that this life is inconsequential in the greater scheme of things but sadly, right now this life is all I've got and I have to find a way of making it bearable.

My dreams are far more fascinating than my reality and so I find myself sleeping a lot in hopes of an escape. My conundrum isn't a problem of loss of direction. I know what I want from my future and am actively pursuing it. The problem is one of the here and now. How do I shape my adolescence to ensure that my future is fruitful? I’d rather deal with these issues now in order to have a semblance of stability in the future.

Despite being able to air these issues I find that I still have no clarity on how I am to overcome the constant questioning… What am I doing with myself? Honestly and truly, I have no answer.

Cue self-loathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment