Saturday 28 June 2014

Reality

A profound sense of loss settles in the centre of the abdomen. With it come sadness, emptiness, loneliness and generalised dysfunction. Considering the possibility that I might be a manic depressant does not seem that far-fetched when accompanied by the constant ups and downs of my emotions in the space of an hour.

Yes, it is not wise to think I have a problem when so many people out there actually do suffer from bipolar disorder. It just feels lonely out here at the edge of civilization. Cell phone service comes and goes and my relationships with the people I have left back in the big city feels tenuous at best. Coming back to the little farm town that is my home always makes me feel afraid. Life has a way of changing. It feels that when I am out of sight I am most definitely out of mind.

It is like a rollercoaster of emotions. It feels as though I will never be able to just be the simple carefree small town girl. The city has changed me. In many ways I have become a far better person than I ever was back home but in many more ways I feel like I have digressed. I find it so hard to just simply be happy and it feels as though I expect too much from life and the people I love. Expectations generally do lead to disappointment but should that be applicable when what you expect is not really far-fetched or unrealistic.

When I met him I never thought it would be so difficult for one person to open up to me. The ability to express my emotions has become that much easier and yet for him it is a labour. He cannot find it in him to share the emotions that course within him amygdala and constantly says it is for my own good. For my own good? What sort of bullshit is that!? How can it be for my own good when the only idea that I am left with is the realisation that his inability to share his feelings simply means he feels nothing for me. I get that some people are wired differently and their ability to express emotion is deterred by their fear of being hurt etc. Yet, how do I keep living in this world of supposed happiness when I never know where I stand in his life. How do I be happy knowing that I am giving up every piece of me to one person when they cannot do the same for me?

The reality is just that – he can walk away with his life intact while I am falling to pieces all because I am too caught up in this whirlpool of irrepressible emotions for this one human being while he feels nothing for me. That is the truth… If he felt even an iota of emotion toward me he would see how his detachment is breaking me apart, how much I am falling to pieces. He is incapable of freeing my soul from this constant uncertainty and sheer despair.

I have to accept the facts:

I am alone in my emotions

He may be fond of me but in no way does he love me

I am in too deep and falling too fast

I will be crushed

My world will collapse

And I will be alone again

And he will be unscathed


No comments:

Post a Comment