Thursday 17 October 2013

The Cherry On Top

Have you ever experienced those days where the entire world comes crashing down around you and no matter how hard you try, your screams only seem to increase the gravitational pull? Well today was one such day.

I believed I would conquer the world as I rose from my bed and gazed upon the cloud covered sky.  As if that wasn't an omen enough I even sang a tune through my usual morning ritual.  Little did I know...

I guess my day could have been worse but coupled with the fact that I had to spend my religious festival away from those I loved just added to the shit storm that was clearly predicted by those morning rain clouds.  We all put off the inevitable especially when we have an inkling of what is to come. We look for every excuse to forget that things  are about to get really bad really fast and instead we choose to live behind a facade of smiles and formalities believing that such behaviour will prolong the eventuality.  The truth is, the longer we put it off the worse the situation becomes.

Dealing with disappointment when it happens would have probably seen to it that today wasn't as bad as it turned out.  Had I found a way to deal with the overpowering emotions I felt at being separated from my family yesterday, I probably would have found a way to let today turn out better than expected.  Instead I chose to forget the obvious pain I felt at having to spend such an auspicious and family orientated day beneath my blanket watching chick flicks and eating ice cream.  I made myself believe that it wasn't so bad and that I, a very family orientated person, was actually having a nice day to myself.  The truth was that it was just the crowning event to what had been a terrible start to a year.

Yes, my year did get a lot better and things really did look like they were turning around.  I met great people, forged new relationships and had finally managed to put all the pain and heart ache I had been experiencing behind me.  The bitch called life was far from satisfied with my happiness and the cherry on top was the worst examination of my career (currently)  coupled with no one to turn to when the culmination of all my woes came crashing down.

Shittiest day of the year? Why I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment